Sponsors

Sponsors

Sponsors

Wednesday 25 July 2012

Gay Admits To 2012 Nerves


UK VOICE: Gay Admits To 2012 Nerves


Tyson Gay at Birmingham’s Alexander Stadium in London.
Tyson Gay at Birmingham’s Alexander Stadium in London.
The world’s second fastest man today announced he was “only two or three workouts away from being perfect” to take on his rivals at London 2012.

He spoke confidently after a training session at Birmingham’s Alexander Stadium saying he was “100 per cent ready” for the 100 metres final.

The American sprinter said to get a medal he would have to run at least 9.7 or faster but stressed he was ready for that challenge.

SEE: Olympic Track and Field Schedule

Asked if he was feeling nervous, the 2007 world double sprint champion who has never won an Olympic medal, said: “Yes I am nervous because this is it. This is the big show. Every race I run I am nervous.

“I am putting all the negative stuff to one side and concentrating on running.
If I run the first round well and then follow that up with a good second round, that will give me the confidence for the final.”

When asked about his Jamaican rivals, Gay replied: “Yeah they look pretty fit, if I am being honest, but then we have a hell of a team as well.”

Gay, whose personal best record of 9.69 is second only to Bolt’s 9.58, said he felt much better after fully recovering from surgery to a hip injury.

“I’ve put all that stress behind me now and I feel ready. It’s just a case of a little tweaking here and there. I am two or three workouts away from bring perfect and ready for the challenge.”

Gay, who clocked 9.9 seconds at the Diamond League meet in Paris earlier this month, said he couldn’t wait for the games to start. He said he was looking forward to joining in the opening ceremony, otherwise he was concentrating on staying calm and focused.

No comments:

Post a Comment